Academic Standards and Progress

Effective Date: July 1, 2016

Original Number: 104
Original Date of Issue: February 14, 1978


104A - June 8, 1979

104 E - September 1, 1997


104 B - December 12, 1983

104 F - September 1, 1998


104 C - February 26, 1985

8 - September 1, 2005


104 D - June 1, 1995

8 - March 24, 2011


January 28, 2013

February 2, 2015

I. Grading Systems, Academic Standards, and Progress Policy

(Note: Students receiving financial aid are held to additional satisfactory academic progress regulations found in section VI.)


The chart below shows sample calculations of necessary course completion rates based on the 67% completion rate and minimum GPA requirements.

Attempted Credits

Minimum GPA

Calculation Applied

Required Completion Rate



12 x 67% =

8 credits completed



18 x 67% =

12 credits completed



25 x 67% =

17 credits completed



37 x 67% =

25 credits completed



49 x 67% =

33 credits completed



60 x 67% =

40 credits completed



72 x 67% =

48 credits completed



84 x 67% =

56 credits completed



90 x 67% =

60 credits completed

II. Policy on Repeated Courses

  1. Students may repeat courses to improve an initial grade of "B," "C," "D","F" or "FS" The following conditions apply:
    1. When a course is repeated, only the most recent grade will be included in the GPA calculations, although all prior grades will appear on the academic transcript.
  2. A grade of “MP” will not be given for a third time in the same course. The “MP” grade may be awarded no more than twice. Any "MP" for a third subsequent attempt will be converted to an "F."
  3. Credit for a course is given only once. Each attempted grade will appear on a transcript. Note: Some colleges to which students may wish to transfer do not accept this method of calculating grade point averages.

III. Incomplete Work

  1. The letter “I” on a student’s grade report or transcript indicates that a student has not completed all the requirements for a grade in a course.
  2. The instructor will inform the student of the work to be completed and the date that it is due. Notification of the incomplete grade will be forwarded to the department head through the use of the incomplete grade form.
  3. An incomplete grade becomes a failing grade (“F”) if the work is not completed within six weeks from the end of the final exam period in which the “I” grade was assigned.
  4. An “I” will not be counted in the student’s grade point average and academic progress in determining academic standing.
  5. Since only completed work can be counted as making progress toward the degree, students must be aware that an incomplete grade may have implications for qualifying for financial aid. In addition, incomplete grades will not satisfy requirements for prerequisites.

IV. Withdrawals from Courses

  1. Students may withdraw from a course(s) but must do so by the published deadline for each term. After this date, students will be assigned the grades they have earned. Students who withdraw after the refund period and before the deadline date for any term will earn a grade of “W” on their transcript. Note that excessive withdrawals will affect academic progress
  2. Students may drop a class via MyCCP or by completing the necessary form, available from the Office of Student Records and Registration, and submitting the form to this same office. Students are strongly encouraged to consult a counselor, if on academic probation, or an academic advisor prior to dropping courses.
  3. Students completely withdrawing from a term must complete the necessary form, available from the Office of Student Records and Registration, and submit the form to this same office. Students must consult a counselor prior to withdrawing from an entire roster of classes for any term.
  4. The date when the Office of Student Records and Registration is in receipt of the appropriate drop or withdrawal form is the official date of withdrawal. A student who cannot appear in person to fill out a withdrawal form must send a letter or e-mail stating the date and reason for the withdrawal. Absence from class or merely notifying the professor does not constitute withdrawal. An instructor may initiate a withdrawal (according to Policies and Procedures No. 5). (Note: Students should not assume that an instructor will initiate such withdrawals.)
  5. Students who are unable to complete a course(s) because of serious illness or other emergency may apply for an excused withdrawal within two years of the occurrence to the Office of Student Records and Registration. Excused withdrawals are not counted in determining academic progress; however, excused withdrawals are counted as an attempt when awarding financial aid. Satisfactory documentation of the illness or emergency will be required.
  6. Students who are unable to complete a course because they or their spouse are a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard or other reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and are called or ordered to active duty (other than active duty for training) shall receive an “M” for military leave of absence. Courses earning an M shall not be counted in determining academic progress.
  7. Students who stop attending class or, in the case of online courses, stop participating (failure to submit or participate in coursework) will receive a grade of FS, failure –stopped attending. Instructors who issue an FS grade must also report the student’s last date of attendance or, in the case of an online course, last date of participation.

V. Reinstatement

Students applying for reinstatement to the College must submit an “Application for Reinstatement Form” which may be obtained in the Educational Support Services Office or at the Counseling Center. Once completed, forms can be dropped off at the Educational Support Services Office. Forms must be submitted no later than the deadline dates stated in the calendar in the College catalog. Applications received after the deadline dates will be rolled over and considered for the following academic term. Once a decision has been made about reinstatement, students will be notified in writing.

VI. Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements for Students Receiving Financial Aid

A student receiving financial aid is required to make progress towards his or her program of study each term. To maintain eligibility for financial aid, the course completion rate is two-thirds successful completion (67%) and maintaining minimum GPA requirements. However, academic progress standards set by Financial Aid Regulations are stricter than the College’s Academic Standards and Progress Policy:

  1. Neither academic nor time amnesty, which the College approved, can be used when computing financial aid satisfactory academic progress (SAP).
  2. All excused withdrawals are counted as attempted credits.
  3. Financial aid eligibility is limited to 150% of the credits needed to graduate for each program of study. All attempted credits are counted toward this maximum, regardless of whether or not a student received aid during previous periods of enrollment. Credits transferred into the College are counted toward the 150% maximum limit.
  4. There is a maximum limit of 30 developmental course credits.
  5. Incomplete (“I”) or unreported (“NR”) grades are counted as attempted credits.
  6. All attempted credits are counted whether or not a student received financial aid. The following new provisions became effective July 1, 2011 and are applicable to all students receiving federal student aid:
  7. Financial aid can be applied only once to repeat any course where the student received a passing grade of "A," "B," "C," "MP," "P" and "D". Students who failed (grade of "F" or “FS”) or withdrew from a course ("W") in any previous attempts are not restricted by this one repeat limitation. However, once the student does earn a passing grade, then financial aid will only pay once to repeat that course.

    The Office of Financial Aid will review academic progress after the Fall and Spring semesters, and Summer. Students deemed not to be making satisfactory academic progress will be placed on a financial aid warning status for the next term. Students may continue receiving financial aid while on financial aid warning status. No appeal is necessary. After the financial aid warning period, a student who fails to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements for Students Receiving Financial Aid (as outlined above), will be ineligible for aid. Students may submit to the Financial Aid Academic Progress Appeals Committee a request to have his/her financial aid eligibility reinstated based on:

    1. Death of a relative;
    2. Injury or illness of the student; or
    3. Other special circumstances.
      1. The appeal must be submitted along with written explanation about why the student failed to make satisfactory academic progress and what has changed that will allow the student to be successful for the next term. Students must also provide appropriate supporting documentation, e.g., doctor's note, receipts or obituary with their appeals. Students who successfully appeal their aid ineligibility will be placed on financial aid probation. The decision of the Financial Aid Academic Appeals Committee is final
      2. A student on financial aid probation may receive financial aid for one semester or summer. At that point, the student must meet the College's Academic Standards and Progress policy or the requirements of an established individual probation conditions plan to maintain financial aid eligibility. The probation conditions plan is a set of academic performance expectations to ensure that the student is able to meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards by a specified point in time. If a student begins and continues to follow the set plan, she/he may continue receiving financial aid.
  8. If appeals have been approved for students who are dropped for poor scholarship and/or insufficient progress after failing to meet the probation conditions plan that was established for them, the students will be ineligible for financial aid until they return to good academic standing.