Office of Diversity & EquityTHE OFFICE OF DIVERSITY & EQUITY
M2-3, Mint Building,
1700 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
Telephone Number: (215) 751-8039 and Fax Number: (215) 972-6295
Policy 351 - Discrimination Complaint Policy
Policy 352 - Discriminatory Harassment Prevention
Policy 353 - Disability Accommodation Policy
Policy 354 - Disabled Vietnam-Era and Other Eligible Veterans Policy
Policy 355 - Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Policy 356 - Religion and National Origin Policy
PREVENTING HARASSMENT IN THE WORKPLACE AND ON CAMPUS
Community College of Philadelphia and the Office of Diversity & Equity are providing an interactive training program on preventing harassment. The program will enable all employees to gain a basic understanding of what is and what is not acceptable in our work environment and on campus. Click here to begin the online training program.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT INQUIRY GUIDE
Non-discrimination interview Strategies (A 248kb PDF file)
- OUR GOALS
- To promote equity within the College.
- To achieve diversity in the race/ethnicity and gender of the College workforce.
- To strive for a climate free of sexual/racial harassment and bigotry.
- To educate the College community on equal employment opportunity/affirmative action principle.
- To ensure accessibility and accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
WHO WE ARE
The Office of Diversity & Equity is both an administrative unit and a resource center for the College community. The Office of Diversity & Equity initiates the development of policies and procedures and has overall responsibility for providing leadership, coordination, and oversight for the College's equal employment opportunity/affirmative action programs. The College demonstrates its commitment to the program through the work of senior-level officials, deans, department heads, and various committees.
- WHAT WE DO
- Seek to eliminate all discrimination within the College community.
- Develop and coordinate equal employment opportunity and affirmative action policies and procedures.
- Promote equity within the College.
- Investigate and resolve internal discrimination complaints.
- Coordinate processing of discrimination complaints with federal, state, and local agencies.
- Prepare reports for College officials and government agencies.
- Provide and sponsor educational programs on affirmative action, equal employment opportunity, nondiscrimination, diversity, and related issues.
- Promote and monitor progress in meeting the College's affirmative action commitments.
- Serve as a College-wide resources in matters related to affirmative action and equal employment opportunity.
- Promote and monitor progress on goals for female and minority faculty and staff.
- Serve as American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator in compliance with appropriate regulations.
- Provide quality service to all departments in developing and attaining their affirmative action commitments.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION. WHAT DOES
Equal Employment Opportunity is designed to guarantee the rights of protected groups under the Civil Rights Laws and address terms and conditions of employment. The College's Nondiscrimination Policy states that the College does not discriminate against any person on the basis of age, citizenship, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam Era. The Office of Diversity & Equity provides assistance in ensuring equal opportunity to all faculty, staff, and students, and is the liaison for local, state, and federal compliance agencies. Affirmative action remedies past discrimination by setting up action oriented programs for the integration of qualified women and minorities in the work force. The Office of Diversity & Equity assists departments in identifying and recruiting qualified minorities and women and monitors departmental progress towards achieving equal employment opportunity.
HOW TO REACH US
The Office of Diversity & Equity is located in the Mint Building on the second floor at the west end of the floor (M2-3). Our regular business hours are 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday (Monday through Thursday during the summer). The Staff is always available to answer questions or provide information; however, appointments are recommended, so that we can better serve your needs. You may request information and advice over the phone if you wish. The Office can be reached at 215-751-8039. Information will remain confidential as needed.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT
Community College of Philadelphia is committed to the principles of equal employment and equal education opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, ancestry, creed, national origin, age, sexual orientation, religion, sex, genetic information, gender identification, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam Era, except where gender is a bona fide occupational requirement or where disability is a bona fide occupational disqualification.
Community College of Philadelphia is committed to achieving a diverse work force reflective of the communities it serves. This diversity will be accomplished through the College's Affirmative Action Plan and practices which encourage employees to develop their capabilities as part of careers at the College.
The College is committed to an outreach program designed to make information about employment opportunities known to diverse communities and to a welcoming environment where diversity is a source of institutional strength and advancement.
This statement is founded on the firm belief that fulfillment of employment and education objectives must be a function of each individual’s abilities. Successful attainment of affirmative action goals and support plans are considered essential to the fundamental mission of Community College of Philadelphia. In making this statement, the College recognizes both a moral and legal responsibility.
Any questions regarding this statement should be directed to Mr. Simon Brown, Office of Diversity and Equity. The Office is located in M2-3 and the phone number is 215-751-8039.