Brown-Sow Named Communicator of the Year at NCMPR Regional Conference
Lynette Brown-Sow, the College's vice president for Marketing and Government Relations, was named Communicator of the Year at the regional conference of the National Council for Marketing and Public Relations (NCMPR) on Oct. 27. Brown-Sow and her staff also captured nine other awards at the conference in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
NCMPR is the only organization of its kind that exclusively represents marketing and public relations professionals at community and technical colleges. An affiliate of the American Association of Community Colleges, NCMPR has more than 1,500 members from nearly 600 colleges across the United States, Canada and other countries.
Communicator of the Year is one of the NCMPR's most celebrated awards. It honors a marketing professional who has demonstrated special leadership or ability in college communications. As a district winner, Brown-Sow becomes a nominee for the national Communicator of the Year award that will be presented at NCMPR's annual conference in March 2009.
In accepting the award, Brown-Sow recognized the support of her "awesome team,"; some of whom were at the award ceremony, including Eve Markman, executive director of communications; Kristina Henk, executive director of marketing; Monique Evans-Wescott, special events and community relations manager; and Nicole Sarpolis, marketing coordinator/writer.
"I think my staff and others around the College thought I was a little driven and probably nuts when I came to the College 12 years ago,"; Brown-Sow said. "But we have grown as a team and now we all are driven, our standards and expectations of ourselves and others are off the charts.
Brown-Sow and her staff also won awards in the following categories:
- A first-place Gold in Feature Article/General News Story - Gateway to College program.
- A second-place Silver in Notes/Cards/Invitations - Pathways Awards Breakfast 2007.
- A Silver in One-Time Special Event - Pathways Awards Breakfast 2007
- A Silver in Transit Advertising - Corporate Solutions Bus Ad Campaign
- A Silver in Booklet - Pathways Magazine
- A Silver in Electronic Media - videos from the Pathways Awards Breakfast 2007
- Two third-place Bronzes - Economic Impact booklet & President’s Report 2006-2007
- A Bronze in Wildcard - the College’s recruitment display at the 2008 American Association of Community Colleges’ Conference in Philadelphia